This thing works, and looks like pretty durable build, but there are key shortcomings in the design. It looks like this was designed by a general industrial designer, who focused on slickness rather than a tool designer, making sure it worked in the application. Here...
This thing works, and looks like pretty durable build, but there are key shortcomings in the design. It looks like this was designed by a general industrial designer, who focused on slickness rather than a tool designer, making sure it worked in the application.
Here are a few things:
- The female light socket adapter is required to get alligator clips for connecting inside if boxes. This two- stack of adapters is bulky, awkward and clunky. A separate adapter would be much better. Worse, the provided alligator clips were too stiff to be opened by hand- I used needle nosed pliers. This is bad, but wait... this awkward stack of adapters did not work out of the box. Metal tabs that make the connections in the edison socket were flimsy, narrow and too short. Because of that, they had to be in perfect position to actually touch, they weren''t, so the clip leads were completely inoperative. Remember this is a test instrument, and brand new, so it took some wherewithal to sort out what was wrong. With careful jiggering using needle nose pliers I got the adapter to mostly work. I then found that the neck of the adapter was too short, so that it won''t screw into sockets like outdoor floodlamp housings. So I wasn''t able to use the tool at all that outing. This is a design fault- they made it slick- but gave up key functionality.
- The plug module would not fit into the outlets I was testing because the ground prong was too large, and would not plug in. I assumed it was the outlet, and almost broke the electrical socket. It took me a while to believe they had sent a tester with an over-size ground prong- but yes, they did. Since I was at home, I was able to carefully roll/squeeze the pin a little smaller using a bench vise and calipers. That fixed the problem, but I''m glad I tested at home- would not have been able to make that fix in the field.
- The main unit switch is not recessed, and has a very wimpy, light touch action. Very easy to actuate in the tool box. But no case is included, so what could go wrong??? Yes, grasshopper; the switch turns on in the tool box, runs the battery down, and you fail at the jobsite. This is an amateur mistake. You won''t find this error on a pro tool
- There is a corded mag sensor for fuse panels. It is moderately useful- not very directional in my testing. There''s cord a cord stowage flange on the back of the unit, but is very tight, and I normally need to try several times to get cord wrapped so that the sensor will stow on the unit. Otherwise it dangles.
- The unit lights up continually when you are in the breaker box- and it is difficult to tell which breaker is the one. The bar graph is essential. You can flip breakers to disambiguate, as this unpowers the transmit unit- but part of the beauty of a finder is not having to do that.
- There is no case for the instrument, although this one really needs it- and not just to protect the wimpy switch. The socket adapter is oddly shaped, bulky and disconneced. The total package is thus hard to pack, and hard to carry. I bought a tool roll pouch that keeps all the parts together; before that I kept them in a medium peanut butter jar which was pretty good, actually.
Importantly, this unit only works on powdered circuits. This could be an easy feature add: a battery powered transmit unit that uses ac power when available.
The rest of the features seem to work OK. So, dear seller if you are reading feedback, you have a potential winner here, but it is wrapped in such a poor package that the merits are lost. Your kit pricing is not compelling in retrospect- in fact it feels very expensive given that I had to repair so many issues to get any value at all. Regards, Flxblflyr